Instant Pot stuffing with sausage is my all-time favourite recipe for the holidays. I make this recipe at Christmas and for a Thanksgiving feast, also the occasional turkey dinner we might have throughout the year. You could also make it alongside a roasted chicken or, heck, eat the stuffing on its own this is calorie-free when no one is looking “wink wink.”
Making your stuffing in the instant Pot frees up much-needed space on your stovetop for many other dishes you may be made during these festive dinners.Jump to Recipe
Instant Pot Sausage Stuffing
My first little secret for my sausage stuffing is my bread cubes. I use hotdog buns! Yes, you read that I use hot dog buns for my bread cubes. I use two 12 packs that you can buy at your local grocery store on the bread wall. I cut the hotdog buns up the day before making my sausage stuffing recipe so the stuffing cubes could dry out slightly.
I also use three packages of pork sausage along with fresh herbs, organic celery, onion and poultry seasoning.
The first thing I do is cut up my hotdog buns into bread cubes and place them in a large bowl the day prior.
The Stuffing Instant Pot Sausage
The next step is to make your instant pot stuffing recipe; set your Instant Pot to saute mode.
The display on the Instant Pot will then read “on” once the Instant Pot is ready to saute, it will say “Hot” like this.
You are now ready to make your instant pot sausage stuffing. I have the go-to sausage that I always buy whenever I make instant pot sausage stuffing, but it’s your preference on what you would like to use; you may like spicier pork than me. None the less it is time to place your sausage in the Instant Pot to brown.
Once your sausage is browned, you can drain any fat off of it, or if you like and it only produces a little fat, leave it in the Pot for that extra added flavour.
It’s now time to add onion and celery to the stainless steel insert. Once these have cooked, it’s time to add in your fresh herbs and poultry seasoning and mix this into your sausage mixture. I love this step because my house always smells amazing, and I usually make my instant pot sausage stuffing the morning of my turkey dinner. Hence, everyone wakes up so hungry, smelling the amazing aroma throughout the house.
Take your plain stuffing bread.” I use hotdog buns cut up into cubes the night before making my instant pot sausage stuffing.” and add your sausage mixture to the dried bread cubes. Ensure that all the dried bread cubes are coated with the cooked sausage mixture. Mix this in a large bowl.
Once the instant pot stuffing is combined, place it in a casserole dish; I also save some in a glass bowl and put this portion into my turkey.
I guess I have been doing this for a while. I always kind of eyeball how much I need for my turkey and stuff it with the sausage stuffing. If you prefer not to stuff a turkey, that is fine. I would trickle some chicken or turkey stock over the top to keep it moist while cooking. I typically cook this at about 325-350 for about 20-30 minutes, depending on your oven temperature. Ensure your casserole dish is covered with foil so that your stuffing does not dry out. I use the casserole dish as my serving dish and place it straight on the dinner table when it’s time to eat.
Stuffed Turkey ready for the oven
Dinner is ready! Serve this side dish cuisine at a Christmas or a Thanksgiving feast. Stuffing always makes for great leftovers as well make a turkey with cranberry and sausage stuffing sandwich the next day for lunch!
I also like using the Instant Pot for this cooked stuffing recipe because I always have so much on the stove when I make these big meals. The instant Pot frees up space.
This is my favourite sausage stuffing recipe. I love stuffing with turkey dinner.
Instant Pot Stuffing with SausageCourse: Sides, Instant PotCuisine: Turkey DinnerDifficulty: Easy
Dinner is ready! Serve this side dish cuisine at a Christmas or a Thanksgiving feast. Stuffing always makes for great leftovers.
3 x 375g packages
6 cups chopped celery
One large sweet onion chopped
fresh herbs (Poultry Mix) (Sage) torn off stems and finely chopped
1 -2 cups chopped curly or fresh flat-leaf parsley
3 tsp poultry seasoning or to taste
salt and pepper to taste
optional turkey or chicken stock
- Turn Instant Pot on by pressing the saute button. When the Instant Pot reads hot, put your pork into the stainless steel insert. “see note.”
- Saute the pork until browned. Next, add your celery and onion, occasionally stirring until slightly translucent.
- Add your herbs to the sausage mixture.
- Next, add your sausage mixture to your plain stuffing bread along with your chopped parsley, salt, pepper and poultry seasoning. Taste your sausage stuffing as you add your seasoning to taste.
- Put instant pot sausage stuffing inside a casserole dish and cover with foil until ready to put in the oven.
- Once you are ready to put the sausage stuffing in the oven, if you feel it dry, trickle some chicken or turkey stock over the top to keep it moist while cooking. Replace the foil and bake for 20-30 minutes, depending on your oven.
- Take out of the oven and serve this side dish cuisine with your Turkey Feast!
- Set aside some stuffing for the turkey if you wish to stuff it. When you take the turkey out of the oven, add the turkey stuffing to your baked oven stuffing. Place in serving dish and put on the dinner table.
- strain fat off of pork sausage after sauteing