I love to celebrate, especially with family and friends. This Canada Day is going to be extra special due to the pandemic. It feels like forever since I have shared a hotdog with family and friends or have gone to an outdoor market and not have to stand 2 feet away from everyone. I am so excited for live music again. If you can’t get out, watch virtual fireworks! https://www.canada.ca/en/canadian-heritage/campaigns/canada-day/virtual-fireworks.html and celebrate at home with Potato Bacon Salad
Potato Bacon Salad
Who doesn’t like a cold potato salad on a scorching day? This is a great accompaniment to any main dish in the summer like steak, hotdogs, Hamburgers, even all by itself with a nice fresh bun on the side. My daughter loves this recipe because there are no eggs in it. I love it because it reminds me of a delicious stuffed potato with bacon and green onions, and you can even add some cubed cheddar if you so wish. When it’s scorching out, I say bring on any chilled salad!
Get your bacon out of the package and line a tray with foil and back until slightly crisp at about 375 C for 7 minutes on one side, then flip and continue until done but be careful not to let it bake for too long as you do not want to burn and it’s so easy to do so keep an eye on it. Now place a couple of garlic bulbs in some oil in a small pan and roast. These will get tossed into the salad as well. They add loads of flavour. While the bacon and the garlic are in the oven, peel your potatoes. I like to use yellow potatoes, cut them up into cubes, put them in a pot, and fill them with water boil until they have reached the point where they are soft, then pour them into a colander to remove the water. Now set those cooked potatoes aside in a bowl. Next, please take out your bacon and let it drain on a paper towel. The bacon is the star in this salad!
Next, chop up your radish very thinly as well as some green onion. Toss both of these in the bowl with the potatoes.
These are so pretty in the potato salad and give a little colour, and red is just the right colour for Canada Day.
The Green onions represent all the beautiful trees in Canada.
Now it’s time to chop that bacon and take that roasted garlic out of the cloves and toss them into the bowl of goodness.
Now that everything is in the bowl add about 1/2 cup of mayo to your Bowl and mix. You can alternatively add chopped cheddar as well and put some salt and pepper in to taste. Let chill for about an hour or more, and this is an awesome companion to any dish this summer or your July 1st celebration for Canada Day!
Happy Canada Day 2021! Potato Bacon Salad with no eggs!Course: SidesCuisine: CanadianDifficulty: Easy
Preheat oven to 375 C
5 medium Yukon Gold Potatoes
1 package of maple bacon
5 green onions or more or less to taste preference
4 radishes thinly sliced and chopped
2 bulbs of garlic
1/2 cup of mayo
salt and pepper to taste
- Peel and cut your potatoes put in a pot and cover with water and boil until tender then strain and place potatoes in a large bowl.
- Line a pan with foil and place bacon slices on the pan and pop in the oven at 375 cooks for about 7 minutes on one side then 4 on the other be careful not to overcook you don’t want burnt bacon!
- Place your Garlic bulbs in the oven as well they should be in the oven for about 30 minutes until they are squishy.
- Chop green onion and radish and place in bowl with potatoes.
- Chop your bacon and add to potato bowl.
- Take the garlic out of the oven. Scoop out the flesh from the garlic cloves and add to the potato bowl.
- Next, add your mayo to the potato bowl and salt and pepper to taste mix well and chill for about an hour or more before serving.
- You can also add celery or cheese. If you want completely eggless, you could, of course, use eggless mayo. This is a super easy recipe and kid-friendly 🙂 you should get a piece of bacon in every bite! Yummy!
Some of my favourite tools I like to use in this recipe and can not do without in my kitchen are this amazing Premium Swivel Vegetable Peeler – Comfortable Ergonomic Grip with Ideal Blade For Vegetables, Potatoes and Carrots by Zulay Kitchen
I also love my chef knife This Chef’s Knife in Stainless Steel Professional Cooking Knife, 20cm Antiseptic Non-Slip Ultra Sharp Knife with Ergonomic Handle Ideal for Kitchen / Restaurant it handles so nicely and is easy to use.
If you like the recipe try making these yummy Pork chops smothered in mushroom gravy! I call it the Pork Chop Express!