This recipe brings me fond memories. My mom would make this all the time. My sister and I loved to take these in our lunch or have them for dinner. It is for sure one of my go-to recipes. If you know of where to get fresh Sockeye Salmon, this recipe is even more incredible. I use canned sockeye salmon, but I most certainly love it when I get my hands on the fresh stuff. Even if you can find canned smoked salmon, this is absolutely incredible and so delicious.
The first thing I like to do is make my salmon roll filling in this you can use whatever you have on hand. I put in my salad celery, green onions, and if I am getting really creative, I even add some grated cheddar or cream cheese the options are endless and totally up to you. I also use mayo, usually Hellman’s. Once I finish my salmon roll filling, I move onto my sunshine biscuits. I call them sunshine biscuits because I love them so much they are nice and flakey and nice and easy to roll out into a big rectangle which is key for fitting all of your salmon roll filling into.
Salmon Roll with homemade Sunshine BiscuitsCourse: bread, Home cooking recipesCuisine: bakingDifficulty: easy
Salmon Roll Salad
Ingredients for Salmon Roll Salad
2 cans of salmon or about 400-500 grams “smoked can salmon” if you can find it.
up to 1/2 cup mayo more or less to taste
1/4 cup finely chopped celery
1/4 cup finely chopped green onion
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup-1cup grated cheddar cheese
- Ingredients for Sunshine Biscuits
2 cups flour
1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
1 Tablespoon sugar
1 tsp salt
6 Tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup milk
Directions For salmon roll salad
- Dump your cans of salmon or smoked salmon if you can find it.
- Mix in your mayo
- Next is in your chopped celery and onion and grated cheddar
- Set aside
- Directions for Sunshine Biscuits
- sift your flour into a bowl large bowl
- Add in your baking powder and salt and stir so it is all incorporated
- Cut butter into the flour bowl until it resembles coarse crumbs
- slowly add milk until your dough forms.
- Roll out your dough on parchment paper or a rolling dough pad once it resembles a big rectangle add the salmon roll salad and spread it on the entire section leaving about two inches on the top.
- Roll up the dough very carefully so it does not break
- It will now resemble a long log. Cut slices of the log with a sharp knife and place each slice on a pan with parchment paper on it so they do not stick.
- Bake in preheated oven at 400 degrees for 20 minutes
- Take it out of the oven and serve each slice while it is still warm, or eat it on the side and serve it with tomato soup. You will have delicious results.
- utensils I recommend are a sharp knife and a large bowl